1. Cut 1" to 1.5" thick slices from a log
approximately 15" to 18" wide (if you don't have the tools to cut your own you can purchase wood slices at a craft store)
2. Allow slices to dry for a few days
3. Sand top and bottom of slice until smooth using a variety of sandpaper grits. Start with 60 grit paper and finish with 220 grit for a smooth surface.
4. Apply natural colored wood stain.
5. If needed, sand stain smooth with 600 grit sandpaper
6. For a glossy finish, apply Painters Touch Rust-Oleum Glossy Clear Coat finish.